Partnership formed between UA, Lockheed Martin

Students will have the opportunity to work with businesses to solve real-world problems within a classroom setting. Mike Hardin, dean of Culverhouse College of Commerce, said in a speech Monday morning that it was an exciting day for the University.

“The real winners [of the partnership] are our students and our faculty,” he said.

The lab, which will be housed in Bidgood Hall, is currently in the design stages. The idea for the lab was generated by Red Square, a company based in Mobile, and will be a collaborative effort between Culverhouse, the College of Engineering and the University’s Center for Advanced Public Safety.

“Close partnerships like this help to insure we prepare our young men and women for their jobs in the industry,” said Robert Witt, former president of The University of Alabama and current chancellor for The University of 
Alabama system.

The completed lab will feature a library of data resources, digital projectors and idea boards, as well as advanced lighting and sound systems.

President Judy Bonner highlighted the fact that Culverhouse was one of the first schools in the nation to begin to teach business analytics and the University is now the first school to have a high tech laboratory specifically for business 
analytics students.

“Every degree granted will be enhanced through the laboratory,” 
she said.

Ray O. Johnson, senior vice president and chief technology officer for Lockheed Martin said he looked forward to the opportunity to partner with 
the University.

The event concluded with Johnson and Bonner formally signing the partnership.