Instead of objectifying individuals, respect them

Today’s culture tells young women through movies, music and social media that they should want to be looked at by men. They should want attention on their body rather than who they are, and the more honks, catcalls and whistles they receive, the more superior they are to other women. Society makes being objectified a desirable thing, and when a woman steps out onto the street, it is socially acceptable for men to treat her as something to look at rather than a person with fundamental human dignity and inherent worth.

There are now people speaking out against this norm. The video “Street Harassment: Sidewalk Sleazebags and Metro Molesters” from Vocativ calls out street harassment and sexual assault that occurs constantly in cities. The video features interviews with women about their personal experiences with objectification from men. It also informs viewers about how much street harassment occurs and some of the effect this has on women.

Some individuals in society attempt to reverse the roles of men and women when it comes to objectification. One of these people is the famous pop musician Kesha. Kesha claims to sing about men in the same way many male rappers depict women: as booty calls, pieces of meat and essentially objects. Kesha’s role-reversing strategy simply proves that women can also objectify men. Her method is clever, entertaining and undeniably effective in catching the attention of listeners. However, her tactics have not brought the lasting respect women need to demand.

After watching “Street Harassment: Sidewalk Sleazebags and Metro Molesters,” I felt pressed to tell readers that no person should ever allow themselves to feel dehumanized by anyone or anything: a man, a woman or a “harmless” joke. This societal norm, which is too often unopposed, needs to end – and to bring it to an end, people need to start taking a stand. No more ignoring the unwanted shouts. No more allowing sexual harassment or assault to go unreported. No more silence due to fear that our disagreement will be met with aggression. No more tolerance of dehumanization just because it is a part of society.

This means taking a stand against catcalling, uninvited physical contact and unwanted stares that are uncomfortable to endure while walking down a street. We must take a stand against disrespect and objectification and those who do these things. I’m talking to both men and women when I say resolving this issue comes down to respect and doing what is right. Everyone must respect individuals no matter what they are wearing, how they are acting or what gender they are. Respect needs to be demanded and given, and if it is not, then this needs to be addressed and changed.

Carolyn Duke is a sophomore majoring in secondary education, English and Spanish.