UA enrollment tops 36,000 to set all-time record

Enrollment at The University of Alabama has reached a record high of 36,155, with out-of-state and international students together outnumbering in-state students. Compared to fall 2013, 1,303 more students enrolled at the University, an increase of 3.7 percent. In-state students made up 49.3 percent of total enrollment, with out-of-state students accounting for 46 percent, international students accounting for 4.6 percent and a small number of military overseas and other students from the United States rounding out the University of Alabama’s 
student body.

“As the state’s flagship institution, providing an excellent education to students from Alabama is a top priority,” said UA President Judy Bonner in an emailed statement. “We welcome out-of-state and international students, but those students do not take spaces away from qualified Alabamians.”

The freshman class includes 6,856 students, a 5.8 percent increase compared to last year and had the highest average ACT score in the 
University’s history at 26.1. The class also had an 
average high school GPA of 3.65 and includes 135 National Merit Scholars and 20 National 
Achievement Scholars.

“We are so pleased that these outstanding 
students have chosen [the University] to pursue their goals,” Bonner said. “We look forward to working with them as they reach their potential both inside and outside the classroom.”

Compiled by Andy McWhorter