Exchange student talks UA experience

Exchange student talks UA experience
    Layton Dudley

Liam Clarke is an Australian exchange student spending his fall semester at The University of Alabama. Clarke, a sophomore majoring in civil engineering and construction, is an active member in campus life and plays for the University’s rugby team. 

Why did you come to America/the University?

I always liked American sports. Plus you speak English. It was an exchange agreement between UA and my university. There will be a person here who’s in my spot back home. 

What do you like about campus?

It’s really well kept and easy to get around. The people are friendly and will talk to you. 

What’s most different from your home country?

Here there’s a lot of school pride. Back at home, we don’t have any college sports, so I didn’t really care what school I went to. At home, we don’t have on-campus living, so you go to class then go home. Here, everything you do during a semester is related back to school. 

Was it hard for you to adjust?

No, not really. Everyone was quite nice and you fit in really easily. There’s other people here who are going through the same thing I am. I play rugby on the University team, so I made lots of friends through that. 

What’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen Americans do?

I don’t know. A group of people took me to that Outback restaurant, and it’s not even slightly Australian. It was kind of fun to see them think that was Australian food. Also, at home we don’t have any grade system which is kind of weird compared to here. 

What’s the favorite thing you’ve seen Americans do?

My favorite thing is gameday. I’m a big sports fan. They’re a lot of fun.

How do you feel about about American food?

Not particularly healthy, but I’ve got used to it and like it now. At home, we eat a lot more meat. It’s nice food, but at first, you kind of crave the food you’ve had back at home. Now I’m over that. 

How do you feel about American football?

It’s a lot slower compared to rugby. Gameday is incredible. We don’t have anything near that scale of stuff at home. It’s a lot bigger deal.