Bowling team seeks improvement

Bowling team seeks improvement

“We’re improving and making a lot of progress. I was pleased with the results,” club president Craig Bartelsmeyer said. “It was a fun event, we learned a lot, and we know that every time we compete we get better.”

The team is led by Bartelsmeyer and coaches Adam Smith and Trey Roger, who have the dual responsibility of competing and managing the rest of the bowlers. All three enjoy their responsibility, especially working with the team’s new, younger members.

“We have a lot of freshmen this year, and to see them open up and improve has been great,” Smith said. “Our seniors especially have grown. They’ve become leading examples for the rest of the team.”

The team accepts all levels of bowlers and strives to help members improve more than anything else. Going to scheduled practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays and requesting additional help can improve the typical beginner into a competitor quickly.

The team’s veterans aren’t the only ones to instruct the younger bowlers. The team has outside help from certified bowling instructors and Charlie Blanco, a five-time PBA Tournament Champion.

“Charlie is extremely knowledgable and patient,” Roger said. “He has the experience, he has the talent, and he knows what he is talking about. We really appreciate his time and effort.”

However, the team believes the best way to improve is to compete.

“The major thing that sets us apart from other clubs is that we have more than the average competitive schedule,” Roger said. “Requiring everyone to bowl in a sanctioned league, and that gives the team more competitive experience. We have a competitive mindset every week.”