Alabama named in the top 40 of musical universities in Spotify study

Well, Alabama made the cut and now has some seriously cool data because of it. Be sure to pat your music-loving self on the back because The University of Alabama, according to number one streaming service, Spotify, is one of the country’s 40 most musical universities.

Spotify provided an interactive graphic displaying the found data for each of the 40 universities on the list. Spotify not only looked into the artists and genres universities liked and disliked, but they also analyzed students’ sleep schedule, hours of the day music is being played most and the differentiations of music tastes from 
campus to campus.

According to the graphic, Alabama likes listening to jam bands, vocal artists and classical rock the most. In contrast, students at Alabama don’t 
 generally like listening to EDM/dance or pop. Moon Taxi is a distinctive favorite band of students at Alabama, but Childish Gambino is a distinctive un-favorite. Other favorite artists include Kings of Leon, Coldplay, NEEDTOBREATHE and Cole Swindell.

Interestingly, based on the “Genre Distribution” chart, students at Alabama listen to blues, country, classical rock and progressive more than twice as much as all other compared universities.

Although there isn’t a moment in the span of a 24-hour day music isn’t being played at Alabama, 4 to 8 p.m. is prime listening time for students. And as far as sleep goes, Alabama is doing surprisingly well.

Based on compared times of when other universities start and stop listening to music, students at Alabama go to sleep earlier than most and rise later, averaging a 12:15 p.m. bedtime and a 9:15 a.m. wake up, meaning students at Alabama are getting 30 more minutes of sleep each night than students at other universities.

Arguably the most telling from the whole infographic concerning Alabama’s overall musical outlook is the ending section, which ranks Alabama fifth for listening to songs with optimistic natures, based on the attributes of the songs students are listening to compared to other 
universities.