Electronic Concert to demo genre

“I guess you could say the speakers are the performers,” said Amir Zaheri, an instructor of composition and theory at the University and a composer for the concert.

The Electronic Concert is held once every semester in Moody Music Building’s 1000-plus seat concert hall. Arranged by Craig First, a composition professor at the University, the concert consists of eight different pieces of electronic music, all composed by UA students, alumni and faculty members.

“All of the music is computer generated using different technology: Csound, sampling and other techniques,” First said. “There is a long and rich history of music produced with electronic instruments, analog and now digital technology.”

Most of the music was made in Moody Music Building’s electronic music facility, which was updated this semester to bring it up to date with modern electronic music technology.

Zaheri has provided two pieces for the concert. “Soundtrack for Brad’s eHarmony Profile,” a song with both nation-wide and international acclaim, began as a prank Zaheri played on a friend of his. His other piece, “Five Selections from Interstellar Responses,” is a preview of a collaboration with UA dance faculty member Rebecca Salzer.

Both First and Zaheri said they believe this concert is important for exposing this particular music genre to younger generations.

“It is important that new and established repertoire in this medium be presented at the School of Music, ” First said. “This genre is an important component of Western art music, and our music students need to be exposed to this important musical literature.”

The Electronic Concert will be held at Moody Music Building Tuesday from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Admission is free, and tickets are not required. 

“I think what’s really important with this kind of concert for the audience is that it exposes them to musical languages that they likely don’t even know exist,” Zaheri said. “It gives them the opportunity to experience music like they’ve never heard. And it serves as a reminder that there is always something new to learn.”