Business professor sees university as 'investment'

The topic for the day was the numerous avenues to purchase fine jewelry and the business models of each avenue. Strickland continued to ask students questions about the assigned reading, and he expected them to know the answer right away. If not, he deducted points as he kept track of participation on his iPad.

Strickland has been teaching at the University for 46 years. In that time he has seen more than 20,000 students come through his classroom.

Ron Dulek, a professor in the College of Commerce and Business Administration, has known Strickland for over 30 years. He said Strickland’s skills are part of the culture of teaching at Alabama.

“He literally has set a standard that teaching is important and that we will do a good job of it,” Dulek said.

Strickland records a podcast after every class to sum up the discussion and send it to students. Dulek said Strickland started recording these podcasts when faculty were first trained on how to use podcasts.

Brooke Bradley, a senior in the class majoring in accounting, said although Strickland is tough, he has his students’ best interests at heart.

“He’s really interested in what we do after college, not just the grade,” Bradley said.

Strickland makes time in his schedule to meet with his students to discuss their plans for the future. While he is impressed by where they’ve come from, he is more concerned with where they are going.

“What I would really like to do is for you to write me in about five years and just tell me what your grade was based on what you’re doing,” he said.

Strickland has gathered notable experience in his career. In January, the strategic management textbook he wrote with co-author Art Thompson will go into its 20th edition. The book has been translated into dozens of languages, including Georgian and Thai. Strickland said most of the credit for the endeavor goes to his co-author.

“If you’re going to choose a partner, choose one that’s really, really good and a lot smarter than you are,” Strickland said.

Strickland has worked to change the dynamic in the classroom. A number of years ago, Strickland decided he didn’t like the terms “professor” and “student.” He felt they created a power-based divide that impeded the flow of learning.

“If you’re in one of my classes, you’re a customer,” Strickland said. “I make it very clear that you are paying me a fortune to teach you.”

Strickland said an unfavorable change he has noticed during his time at the University is the change in the cost of attending college versus the income from jobs most college degrees qualify for.

“That rate of return is hard to justify, and that concerns me,” Strickland said.

To combat this problem, Strickland said he foresees changes in the way classes are taught. He said courses might move to a hybrid model, with increasing portions of coursework being online or through the textbook company directly.

With all Strickland’s experience, his GBA 490 course has built up quite a reputation. Taking the last course in any major is stress-inducing, and Strickland said he doesn’t allow any room for error.

Johnathon Blankenship, a senior majoring in health care management, said he has heard the course is tough but worth it. Former students warned Blankenship of rules Strickland expects his customers to follow from the first day of class.

“Don’t ever be late,” Blankenship said. “Don’t ever wear a hat.”

Strickland said all of his rules, like his coursework, are designed to help prepare students for the professional world.

Strickland said he enjoys teaching and can’t imagine himself doing anything else. Given the opportunity, he said he would choose the same career.

“The day I wake up on a Tuesday morning and say, ‘Ugh I’ve got to go teach’ will be the day I retire,” he said.

Dulek said Strickland’s attitude toward his work after so many years is part of what makes him so valuable.

“He’s the best of what the University has,” Dulek said. “He’s the best of what a southern university should be.”