Feminism can make women feel inferior

So here’s what is interesting: Sanchez, who has great intentions and rightly wants women to be happy and have equal opportunity alongside men, demeans the work done by homemakers because it doesn’t bring in a paycheck. And therein lies the flaw in feminism. Some women don’t want a career. Some don’t want to join the army. Some don’t want to hold public office. And every feminist who cries out that not enough women serve in the armed forces makes those women feel inferior. It makes them feel like something is wrong with them even if they are happiest as stay-at-home mothers.

I have seen this phenomenon among my peers who want to be mothers, but now feel a push from the world to have a career in order to be considered successful. Feminists seem to be set on screaming inequality until exactly 50 percent of everything is composed of women. Guess what? Relatively few men are nurses, teachers and secretaries. Isn’t that gender inequality for men? Aren’t men the ones portrayed as fools on nearly every television show? Yet, somehow it’s a tragedy that there are fewer women than men in public office? Let’s take a poll of who has interest in pursuing public office. Could it be that fewer women want to hold public office? Could it be that fewer women want to join the military? Of course. It turns out that men and women are different. They naturally complement each other. Women make our lives awesome in a large part because they are 
different. That should be celebrated.

I am an advocate of women’s rights. I believe that women should have the right to vote and to do whatever positive things they want in our society. That is why I tend to disagree with feminists who try to make women feel like they ought to be just like men. I’m thankful for my angel mother who never worked outside the home and was therefore able to teach me how to read, write and respect women for what they are.

Makade Archibald is a sophomore studying metallurgical engineering.