Charity to take used clothing

University Programs and the department of restaurant, hotel and meetings management will host Clean Out Your Closet, a charity event where students can donate gently used clothing, shoes and accessories.

The charity event, which will be held Monday from 7 to 9 p.m. in Tutwiler Hall’s Large Living Room, doubles as a fashion show. Students will model all the clothes.

“The clothes that will be featured in the fashion show are clothes from Altar’d State,” said Brianna Faiella, the project manager’s assistant and a sophomore majoring in restaurant and hospitality management. “The girls at Altar’d State have been absolutely amazing in working with us on this event. The clothing has a little bit of a fall feel to it, which is perfect for the upcoming season.”

All donations will be given to Hannah Home, a non-profit organization that supports women and children in abusive situations. They provide shelter and opportunities for employment as well as gently used clothes and other items to women and children in need.

“Hannah Home helps women and children get back on their feet when they get out of those types of situations,” said Bonnika Ashley, graduate assistant for RHM.

Clean Out Your Closet originated as a class assignment for Rachel Stephenson, a junior majoring in restaurant and hospitality management and the project manager. She was then given free rein and turned it into a charity event.

“Domestic violence is such an important cause because of the tremendous amount of innocent women who fall victim to it,” Stephenson said. “If I can just make one more person aware of domestic violence and how to protect themselves, then I would consider my event a success.”

Stephenson said she felt gratitude for the help she has received in organizing Clean Out Your Closet.

“I have five other wonderful project members who have worked incredibly hard by my side,” she said.

Admission to the fashion show is free. All who attend are encouraged to bring at least one piece of clothing. Each donation is worth one Panhellenic point. Register at upua.tix.com.