Midterm elections approaching

On Tuesday, Nov. 4, registered voters across the nation will visit their local polling stations as they cast ballots for a wide array of offices and issues. Contested offices in the state of Alabama include the Governorship, the Lt. Governorship and the Attorney General’s office. Students at the University can play a significant role during this election cycle.

“As we’ve seen with many elections, the youth vote is the most important,” said Reshad Hudson, president of UA College Democrats. “Young people are able to mobilize in a way that other parts of the electorate can’t.”

Two weeks ago, the clubs teamed up to host a debate for students to help foster interest in the upcoming election cycle.

“You can’t change anything if you don’t do anything,” said Maverick Flowers, chairman of the UA College Republicans. “If you won’t change the world, others will for better or worse while you idly sit by.”

According to census.gov, only 40 percent of 18- to 29-year-olds are registered to vote in the state of Alabama. Both College Republicans and College Democrats agree this number needs improving.

“For democracy to work at its best, everyone must become more informed and involved in the process,” Flowers said when asked why students need to vote. 

Both Flowers and Hudson cite post-graduation jobs and the future of the economy as reasons for college students to be involved in the political process.

While the parties agree on the necessity of voting, College Democrats has been placing a special emphasis on raising support for Parker Griffith, the Democratic Gubernatorial Candidate, who is running against the incumbent Governor Robert Bentley.

“We have a governor who is denying people in Alabama from having access to the health care they deserve,” said Hudson. “Griffith wants to improve upon these things Governor Bentley has failed on, like allowing the people of Alabama a chance on an education lottery and expanding Medicaid coverage in the state.”

In addition to contested races, this election cycle will have votes for five amendments to the Alabama state constitution. Tuscaloosa’s Congressional District 7 race is uncontested, and Representative Terri Sewell will retain her current seat.

While Senate races are important nationally during this midterm season as the Republicans stand poised for a two-house majority, Alabama Republican Senator Jeff Sessions also runs uncontested.

Regardless of how students vote on these issues, both Hudson and Flowers agreed students need to make an informed decision, and the best way to do so is to get involved on campus.

More information about each candidate and race can be found on ballotpedia.org/alabama.