UA opens new parking lot

A new lot at 5th Avenue and Campus Drive may alleviate problems some students face when trying to park on campus.

“The lot will hold about 1,200 vehicles during the week and about 180 recreational vehicles for game days,” Gina Johnson, the University’s associate vice president for auxiliary services, said.

This is the first UA project constructed on the land formerly belonging to Bryce Hospital, and the project, funded mostly by donations through the Crimson Tide Foundation, cost an estimated $4 million.

During the week, Johnson said, the lot is designated for commuter parking. East of 5th Avenue is perimeter parking.

It was necessary to reduce overcrowding in parking lots during the week and accommodate more recreational vehicles on game days, Johnson said.

“Everyone who parked with us last year had the opportunity to request a space, and it was based on their priority points through Tide Pride,” she said. “They ranked the order of the lot that they wanted, very similar to [the process for] room selection, and that is how they were assigned.” However, the lot must be cleared by 5 p.m. on Fridays before game days, so RVs can begin parking there at 6 p.m.

Due to the lot increasing the volume of traffic, Johnson said the need for a new stoplight at 5th Avenue and Campus Drive was necessary.

“The light is at the entrance to the parking lot, and the University is waiting on the city to help decide when to change it from flashing to operational, so students should definitely watch for that change,” she said. “This should help improve the traffic flow on campus.”

Nursing students and those who visit the Student Recreation Center will particularly benefit from the added parking spaces.

“The lot is also convenient with the opening of the nursing school… Before, there was limited parking in that area,” she said. “[Nursing students] would be able to park in the new lot if they have that particular decal and use the Crimson Ride to get to the nursing school.”

George Brown, executive director of the Rec Center, said he’s pleased with the addition, because students can conveniently walk up the hill to the south end of the recreation center.

“We are excited about the lot, and, with it being the first few days of school, we are closely watching to see how it is really going to be used,” he said.

The north and south lots are busy during school hours, he added, and students can also use the new lot after 6 p.m., when it’s not mandatory to park in a designated decal area.