Beat Auburn, Beat Hunger begins 21st year

Nine hundred thousand people – 19 percent of the population – live below the poverty line in Alabama, and 90,000 a month depend on the West Alabama Food Bank in nine West Alabama counties.

Beat Auburn, Beat Hunger, an annual six-week food campaign leading up to the Iron Bowl, raises awareness of food insecurity by donating nonperishable food to the West Alabama Food Bank. Alabama competes with Auburn, who donates to the East Alabama Food Bank, covering 13 counties. The campaign started in 1994, and Alabama has won nine of the 20 contests. Around 3 million pounds of food have been donated to Alabamians since its inception.

Over the past five years, the title of winning school has gone back and forth. Alabama is the reigning 2013 champion, donating 299,398 pounds of food last year, providing seven months and two weeks worth of food to the food bank. This year’s goal is 300,000 pounds. All donations from the communities and the universities from Oct. 13 to Nov. 21 count toward the weighted total.

“The true purpose is to feed people,” said Courtney Thomas, director at the Center for Sustainable Service and Volunteerism. “The main reason we do this food fight is to end food insecurity in the state of Alabama.”

Alabama is third in the nation for food insecurity, meaning people do not have three substantial, life-sustaining meals a day. The CSSV goes to the West Alabama Food Bank in Northport to sort and label cans on Mondays, and they pack weekend meals for children who are on free and reduced lunches on Fridays.

“We’ve seen a lot of studies on food insecurity and how that’s linked to obesity and how being food insecure affects children’s education in school,” said Beat Auburn, Beat Hunger executive team leader Addie Bunn.

The Hunger Banquet, a hunger simulation event where participants are assigned colored wristbands that denote their economic status and where they will be seated, is Thursday from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Ferguson Ballroom. Participants won’t know their role in this society until the discussion starts.

Those in attendance will eat broth, while others will have five course meals. The decision of how many participants fall into each category is based on Alabama’s percentages of low, middle and upper class residents. Participants then learn about hunger statistics and trends in Tuscaloosa, as well as throughout the nation, and are encouraged to get involved and effect change.

The event is worth two Panhellenic points and two community service hours, and those interested are encouraged to arrive early.

“I think Beat Auburn, Beat Hunger is a beautiful community bridging activity because it shows that college kids and the campus truly care about our community,” Thomas said. “It’s not an issue that just faces one group, it’s an issue that faces so many different types of people, and it’s beautiful to see the campus and the community coming together saying this is something we can stand side by side against and really work together and really make a difference.”

Anna-Margaret Yarbrough, a CSSV and Al’s Pals graduate assistant, supervises a group called Campus Kitchens that works on a project called Swipe Away Hunger. Bama Dining agreed to donate up to 500 swiped meals to the Community Soup Bowl for Thanksgiving.

“In the next couple of weeks, we will be standing at dining halls and asking people to swipe their ACT card so that they can donate a meal,” Yarbrough said.

Pie in the Face, another hunger awareness event, begins Nov. 10 and will be held at the Ferguson Plaza where the athlete, faculty or staff member with the most donations in their name will be pied. Tuscaloosa Burger will host a percentage night Nov. 12 from 5 to 10 p.m. Donations will be taken Nov. 16 at the women’s 
basketball game and Nov. 17 at the men’s basketball game.

For Homecoming Can Formation, an event hosted by SGA Homecoming Nov. 19, organizations will build statues out of cans that are then donated. The most creative structures win spirit points. Jim N’ Nicks BBQ will host a percentage night Nov. 19 between 5 and 8 p.m.

Food donations can be dropped off at the red barrels placed all over campus. Organizations should be represented by bagging and labeling their cans. Each dollar raised provides two pounds of food. Other ways to donate include buying T-shirts at the CSSV for $20, equalling 40 pounds of food, or texting BAMA to 27722 to donate $10.

To donate time or trucks for 
community service hours, please email [email protected].