New podcast started between old friends

New podcast started between old friends

Michael Thomas and Kelsey Southerland created the podcast. The two met in the fourth grade and became friends. In high school they lost touch, but a chance encounter in college led to the mending of their friendship.

“When we came to college, we ended up being involved in the same musical group on campus, and we rekindled our friendship,” said Southerland, a senior majoring in public 
relations. “Now I can’t get rid of him.”

Thomas, a senior majoring in telecommunication and film, said he got the idea to do a podcast from listening to a few of his favorite people already doing podcasts, such as YouTuber Grace Helbig, who recently came out with a book titled “Grace’s Guide: The Art of Pretending to Be a Grown-up,” and Tyler Oakley, another YouTuber. After getting the idea, Thomas said he knew exactly who to contact about starting a podcast.

Southerland agreed to work with Thomas, and they began recording conversations they had and jotting down notes for the show. “Sides by Sides” premiered Oct. 3 and has since garnered more than 650 views on iTunes. The show’s topics range from first kisses to Halloween to the perils of online dating.

“Right now we’re trying to spread the word and get more traction with our listeners, but I would love to continue to do the show after we graduate, even if we have to do it over the phone,” Thomas said. “It will give us an excuse to drink a 
bottle of wine and catch up.”

After five episodes, Thomas and Southerland said they have fallen into a rhythm. Thomas said they plan the show a few days in advance, and he calls Southerland to discuss what they’ll talk about in the beginning of the show. The last half of the show is spent answering social media questions, doing the tall tale of the week and naming the “OMG” moment of the week. In the next few weeks, “Sides by Sides” plans to feature guests on the show to add variety, Thomas said.

“We’ve joked about having a roommate episode and having them come on, because we both know each other’s roommate really well,” Southerland said. “They would give a second opinion on what it’s really like to live with us and tell funny stories about living with each other.”

For “Sides by Sides,” no topic is off limits, Southerland said, including the upcoming elections. Thomas said they love the positive feedback from friends as well as people they do not know. Thomas and Southerland said they hope the show gives people a chance to listen, laugh a little and go about their day.

“I hope it gives them a 30-minute break while they’re either riding to school or riding across campus,” Thomas said. “Or even if they don’t go to The University of Alabama, it will give them a chance to eavesdrop in on the conversation that we don’t mind them listening to.”