Rusk anchors Tide defense

Rusk anchors Tide defense

“I don’t know why really since there doesn’t seem to be much benefit of always being the one that gets scored on,” she said. “But I do like that feeling when you save a shot – there’s nothing better.”

Rusk earned her position as Alabama’s starting goalkeeper as a sophomore.

“From being a member of the team to being a goalkeeper, her work ethic is outstanding,” coach Todd Bramble said. “That’s probably one thing most of our players on the team would say about Emily – the first thing that comes to mind is that she is a really, really 
hard worker.”

With 0.76 goals against her on average and a 0.818 save percentage, Rusk has seven shutouts, leaving her tied for the program record. Two of which came against Arkansas and Missouri. Rusk was named SEC Defensive Player of the Week on Sept. 20 and is the only Alabama player to achieve the title twice in one season.

Bramble said he believes Rusk’s confidence and composure have allowed her to do as well as she has this season. Bramble said with a season of experience, Rusk knows when and how she is needed and is able to organize the defense as she takes on a key leadership role from in the net.

When she’s not in the net, Rusk is a public relations major and knows that, in her future, she’d like to do something related to sports.

“I don’t do that much besides soccer, school and friends,” Rusk said. “Sports is my one passion, and I know that if I can get a job locked in on that – no matter what industry it is in – I’ll enjoy it.”

Thursday, faced with a Kentucky team that has outscored its opponents 36-15 this season averaging 2.12 goals per game, Alabama will need Rusk’s ability and experience as it closes out its season in Lexington, Kentucky.