Square attempts to overcome ACL injury

Alabama sophomore defensive lineman Damion Square is still working his way back to form as the 2010 season approaches.

In 2009, Square’s freshman season was cut short when he tore his ACL in the second game of the season against Florida International.

“I was pass-rushing, and then I was on the ground,” he said. “That’s what happened.”

He first rejoined practice after his injury in California before the national championship game. While he said he wasn’t back to full health then, he would be in the spring.

Spring turned to fall, and Square now says his knee is better than ever.

“My knee couldn’t be better than what it is right now,” he said. “Everyday I just go out there as if I’m 100 percent even if I’m not.”

He redshirted his initial season at The Capstone in 2008 and played in both games he was healthy for in the following season.

Head coach Nick Saban said the coaches have been very pleased with his progress since returning to practices.

“He’s probably got a good chance to play for us some in nickel and probably be the third end,” he said. “He’s a good athlete. He’s worked hard. He’s gotten a little bigger, a little stronger. He hasn’t had any issues coming back from his injury, so we’re very pleased with the progress that he’s made. He’s got some pass-rush ability, so we’re excited to have him back.”

Square said he’s open to playing whatever position will help his team the most.

“I’m going to play whatever Coach needs me to play, pass-rush, goal line, whatever it takes to win,” he said.

On the offensive side of the football, tight end Mike Williams said he’s been impressed with Square’s recovery.

“He’s come out from knee surgery and you couldn’t even tell coming off the edge,” he said. “Run blocking, he’s just as strong as any D-lineman we have.”

While he was recovering, he spent most of his time in the training room with linebacker Dont’a Hightower, who was also out most of last season due to a severe knee injury.

“We had a lot of good times down there in the training room despite the situation,” Square said. “After a while you have to take the situation for what it is, understand that he’s my motivation to come in and get better every day, and I’m his motivation to come in and get better everyday because we knew what we would have to bring to the team this year.”

Square said though it was frustrating that he couldn’t play, he had other people around him to inspire and encourage him.

Outside the team, he said his mom and pastor really helped him to get through the injury. On the team, Saban and defensive line coach Bo Davis encouraged him, as well as fellow teammates Robby Green and Mark Ingram.

“They came into the training room and stop by and saw me every day,” Square said. “[They] put a smile on my face and let me know that they’re going to take care of their job on the field.”