Left tackle not ruled out

Left tackle not ruled out
Layton Dudley

The Crimson Tide will travel to Baton Rouge to face LSU this Saturday in what has become one of the SEC’s 
biggest games.

“These games are traditionally very tough, physical games between two ranked teams,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said. “It is certainly not going to be any different this year. You can guarantee their crowd will be very involved in the game, whether it’s during the day or the night.”

Alabama will be facing a 7-2 Tigers team that handed a then-undefeated Ole Miss its first loss on Oct. 25.

One of the biggest factors in the game could be whether Crimson Tide left tackle Cam Robinson plays in the game. Robinson sustained a high ankle sprain during Alabama’s game against Tennessee, but Saban did not rule the freshman out for Saturday’s game.

“We will have to see how he progresses this week,” Saban said. “He has run on the treadmill and done well with that. We’ll see how he moves around today, not really in practice, but just on the side. If he continues to make progress, he could be a guy that is available for the game.”

Saban said last week starting right tackle Austin Shepherd and reserve offensive lineman Grant Hill could both play left tackle, so one of them could slot in to Robinson’s place. He also mentioned starting right guard Leon Brown as a possible replacement if Robinson is unable to play.

The game will another road test for Alabama quarterback Blake Sims, who has improved his performance away from home as the season has progressed.

“I think he has made a lot of improvements and I think we have made some improvement with him,” Saban said. “Sometimes when you understand what the struggles are, it is something that you work to try to improve and fix. I think the coaches have done a good job at that and I think Blake has done a really good job 
at that.”