Don't fear literature class workload

The first step to keep focus in a literature course is to tailor it to your interests. Instead of choosing a mainstream literature course and complaining it has no spark or interesting take on the subject, venture to the more specific classes. Not only is there a class for most foreign language literature (taught in English), but many of those are whittled down to a small portion of history. If you like “Grimm’s Fairytales,” there is a class for you – German Literature in Translation – and it’s offered in the spring.

But after entering a literature course, there is one obvious fact – the workload consists of reading lengthy classics in the timeframe of two weeks. This is the daunting part. Or is it?

Take a new perspective for a minute: Without this literature course, which you now find yourself sitting in with angst, would you have access to the wonderful world of classics or whatever subject you chose? Sure, the SUPe Store has the books, but would you have ever read “Faust” by Johannes von Goethe or “Anna Karenina” by Leo Tolstoy if you hadn’t already? Admit it, the answer is most likely no.

Literature courses are by far some of the most interesting courses you can take in college. Literature professors usually love what they’re teaching and are pros on the subject matter. While the classes seem fast-paced, you’re actually digesting the world’s best books at a perfect rate. Literature course deadlines keep you on track with the book, so there’s no lopsided reading schedule where you forget everything. Plus, class discussions engage everyone in a high-profile analysis of the pieces they’re reading. Without a literature course, you’re not only reading at a random rate, but you’re also only getting your own perspective. Did you notice the metaphor on page 15 repeats on page 200 with a completely different meaning? No, but your classmate did, and now your whole perspective on the novel has changed.

When registering for classes this semester, don’t sweat over your next elective. Just scroll over to the literature department and click. You won’t regret it.