Announcements for 8/23/2010

New College hosts national security forum

The Kettering Foundation is hosting a forum on America’s role in the world and the meaning of national security in the 21st century, giving students the opportunity to contribute their thoughts and feelings on the changing nature of U.S.-Russian relations. The forum will be held at the New College student lounge, Lloyd 215, Tuesday, Aug. 24, at 6 p.m. The resulting dialogue will be compiled into a report and submitted to the New Dartmouth Conference, which brings together policy makers, experts, former officials, and researchers from the United States and Russia in order to promote sustained dialogue about relations between the U.S. and Russia. For more information, contact Lindsay Mullen at [email protected].

UA-produced Black Panther documentary screened in Harlem

The documentary film “Lowndes County Freedom Party”, produced by the Center for Public Television and Radio at the University of Alabama, was screened Saturday at the Maysles Cinema in Harlem. Directed by CPT&R documentary television program director Dwight Cammeron, the film details the efforts of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee to mobilize the African American vote of “Bloody Lowndes” by forming a political party, tracing the roots of the Black Panther Party’s philosophy of determination and self-defense to Lowndes County, Alabama.