Show features senior designs

Show features senior designs

For students involved in apparel design, the annual Fashion for Life show is one of the year’s biggest events. Fashion for Life is a fashion show that showcases the work of 29 senior apparel design students.

Brian Taylor, a professor in clothing, textiles and interior design, said the show is part of the senior Advanced Apparel Design course. For the class, students are required to create a senior collection of five garments but they can show up to eight looks on the runway. Students have been working on their individual 
collections for the show all year.

“Students began researching their collection over the summer,” Taylor said. “Their research entailed their inspirations, colors, fabrics and trends.”

Sara Amador, a senior majoring in apparel design, bought her fabric and began constructing her first designs 
during the first week of school.

“A lot of time is put into the show,” she said. “Students have to juggle school, jobs, a social life and finishing up their looks in time for the show.”

Amador has designed eight pieces total, which will translate into six looks on the runway.

“I was inspired by wildflowers and the fact that clothes are a way to 
communicate who we are,” she said.

Taylor organized the show and said 
he loves seeing each collection.

“Each student has their own sense of style, so it’s interesting to see the variety of design philosophies in one setting,” he said. “The best part is the day of the show when the students get to see the models in their designs with hair and makeup, ready to walk the runway. You can see the pride in their faces after several months of hard work.”

The runway show will take place at 5 p.m. Sunday in the Ferguson Center ballroom. Doors open at 4:30 p.m. and tickets are available at the door or in 307 Doster Hall for $5. All proceeds go to 
Arts ‘N Autism.