Bryant-Denny Stadium expansion officially opens

The newly renovated Bryant-Denny Stadium has officially been opened. The Crimson Tide Foundation and other supporters of the University were invited to the grand opening of Bryant-Denny Stadium on Friday night.

“This facility helps define the University of Alabama, the words used to describe this facility: class, quality, excellence, are the values of the University of Alabama,” University President Robert Witt said. “The opening of this facility once more states to the world who we are and what we value.”

The event began with a self-guided tour of the south end zone. Starting in the “Donor Hall of Fame,” the hall was packed with VIPs, including former coaches, players and faculty, as well as those who made financial contributions to complete the south end zone expansion.

After the self-guided tour ended, attendees were asked to relocate to “The Zone,” a fifth floor lobby with a great view of the field. A podium marked with the University seal rolled out in front of a bar filled with champagne for a toast to the future of Bryant-Denny Stadium. Some of the biggest names associated with Alabama football spoke about the new stadium and what it symbolizes.

Witt, University Athletic Director Mal Moore, 1988 Alabama graduate and current ESPN reporter Rece Davis and head coach Nick Saban all took turns talking to the crowd present.

Davis, the night’s host, took the stage and set the mood with a joke.

“Everyone told me it would be okay to Photoshop me in a photograph with Coach Saban and put my kids in it for their student council elections,” he said.

He was referring to a woman who was caught using a Photoshopped image of her and Saban to help her campaign in a Bessemer mayoral race.

Following Davis, Moore took the stage and expressed his happiness about the expansion of the stadium.

“We appreciate each and every one of you for the difference you have made,” he said. “I want to say in the presence of all of you what a great and unbelievable job Dr. Witt, our president, has done.”

His speech continued with thanking the Crimson Tide Foundation. Finally he gave thanks to Saban and his wife Terry for choosing to come to Alabama three and a half years ago.

The night ended with a speech from Saban.

“It was heartfelt by the Sabans when we had 92,000 people here in 2007 for a spring game, which probably had more to do with winning the national championship than anything else,” Saban said about the support he has received.

Saban thanked those who made the expansion possible, especially noting Moore.

“To have facilities like we have, like this stadium being the best stadium in the country, really helps recruiting and it really helps the team,” Saban said.