Crimson is: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness

With the start of the new school year, many out-of-state and transfer students are finding their niche on campus and making a genuine effort to create a home away from home at this university. Last year, my freshman year, I was one of those students, and in some ways I still am. I am frequently asked why I chose to come back to the University of Alabama for the Fall 2010 term after my departure last spring, and many times I offer the same response – it was the weather, women, music, food and football.

National championship football, beautiful women with southern drawls and fried pickles were all new to me last year, things not available for a Chicago Irishman such as myself. This created a unique experience for me as I moved into the heart of Dixie, an experience that may be completely new to you, as well. I think it’s extremely important for this piece to ‘shoot from the hip,’ and give you a heartfelt examination of the great opportunities found at this University.

Let me first begin by saying that if you are reading this and hail from California, you may be asking yourself “where are the beaches?” If you are from New Jersey, “where is Snooki?’

Never fear, the pool and recreational facilities at various locations on campus (I am writing you today from the Student Recreation Center Pool) are absolutely fantastic, and though Snooki has not arrived on campus yet (I say yet because I hear rumblings that she is in the running for Big Al this football season) there are plenty of opportunities to do GTL in her spirit; free tanning in some places, and for $1.25 you can do laundry in others.

I came to Alabama in the fall of 2009 with great expectations. I was Joe Mahoney, blazing a fresh trail and going to Alabama, where no person had gone from my high school, let alone my family.

Immediately, I got involved, hoping to make some kind of impact. While doing so, I found and befriended great people. I was accepted to both the Freshman Forum and the First Year Council, but I chose the FYC (and I would encourage anyone who has the opportunity to do so as well).

I made that choice because of my love for politics, of making a true difference, and effecting significant positive change as a legislator. I have a passion for people and for policy. I was the reigning 2009 Illinois State Debate Champion at the time, so confidence was high for me, and I had, admittedly, a little bravado.

By now I hope you recognize not only the numerous activities that you can get involved with as a freshman on campus, but also how foolish I was in leaving the University after essentially one half of a semester. I had what every freshman at this school could hope to have. I had a great roommate, experienced championship football and had everything and more that I could ask for, but I sorely missed my friends and family at home.

Maybe in this new environment you are also questioning whether you made the right decision. Trust me; give yourself a full year before you can make any determination about your academic future at this institution. At a large state university such as this there are plenty of opportunities available to you, and you can likewise be enriched by people from a broad set of interests and disciplines.

On my first day of classes at my new school, and throughout much of my semester there, I regretted my decision to leave Alabama. I felt that I had not given myself enough time to adjust.

I have many great friends from back home who all reiterated to me the same point; the first semester of college is tough no matter how far away from home you go. Whether you hail from Michigan, Oklahoma, or Alabama, saying goodbye to hometown friends and your families for the final time can be very painful.

However, YOU can be successful and be somebody, even you out-of-staters who have traveled hundreds of miles to be with us. Your family will without question always be there for you, and your true friends will be waiting for you when you return.

At Alabama, you truly can enrich your lives, experience new liberties and freedoms as a college student, and find happiness in new opportunities, relationships, and the coming journey for a 14th national championship. Roll Tide.

Joe Mahoney is a sophomore majoring in political science.