Support for a Sister: Tri Delta raises money for member struck by vehicle

Allen was rushed to the nearest hospital for internal bleeding in the spleen, but doctors soon discovered her 
injuries were much more extensive.

She accumulated a number of injuries, including ones to her spleen, kidneys, liver and femur. With all the damage to her body, she was in critical condition and even with the surgeries, the chances of Allen’s survival were 
not high.

Now, after three surgeries, Allen is on the road to recovery. She must finish out her semester at home to allow for care and rest, but she was discharged from physical therapy Monday.

Delta Delta Delta, or Tri Delta, earned recognition earlier this year for being the chapter that raised the most money for its philanthropy, St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital. Now, they 
are continuing to use their talents, but this time the focus is on Allen, one of their own members.

“The chapter of Tri Delta has been unbelievably supportive and is helping me raise money for her family,” said Allen’s best friend, Savannah Martin, a sophomore majoring in advertising and marketing. “We have wanted to help out any way we can, but it has been difficult considering we live five hours away and have been able to have limited contact with Megan since the accident.”

The distance made it hard for her sisters to keep in touch with her and keep updated on her recovery, which is why Martin started a Tilt, an online fundraising page, to raise funds for her out-of-state tuition and help pay for Allen’s medical expenses.

So far, the chapter has raised $1,035 through Tilt.

Martin and other members of Tri Delta said they hope students can learn from Allen’s accident.

“We urge students to take this accident very seriously and hope that we can all learn something from it,” Martin stresses. “Being safe in a college town is a huge priority when attending football games and other functions on campus.”

Skylar Chans, a sophomore majoring in advertising and a member of Tri Delta, said though she was saddened by Allen’s accident, she is glad her sorority is able to work together to help her recovery.

“Megan is such an awesome girl and such an asset to our chapter and my pledge class,” Chans said. “We were all so shocked and upset when we found out about her accident, but we have been working hard to raise funds and awareness to help her family with medical bills.”

Chans said the effort has even helped to foster a stronger sense of community within her sorority.

“It has brought all of us even closer and has made our chapter stronger, because we are all working hard to help both a sister and a friend,” she said.

Natassia Costa, a spokesperson for Tilt, said she is thrilled to see the website go to good use.

“It’s amazing to see students using our platform to help other students,” Costa said. “The Tri Delts at The University of Alabama are using Tilt to raise awareness about Megan’s situation and make it easy for friends and the UA community to get involved.”

Martin said all are welcome to donate to Allen’s recovery effort through their Tilt page. Allen’s campaign can be found at tilt.com/campaigns/team-megan. Their goal is to raise $2,000.

“Anyone can donate any amount they want to the Tilt,” Martin said. “The minimum we are asking someone who would like to donate is $5, which is more than enough if we can get the whole community involved.”