Student to attend conference in Lima, Peru

Eight students total were chosen by the American Chemical Society to represent the society as student ambassadors. The application process involved an expression of interest, a list of qualifications, a show of understanding of the history of the conference and a sample blog post.

“The selection process is competitive and is based on received nominations from across the country. I consider it to be an honor recognizing the students’ abilities both academically, but also in their ability to effectively communicate to a broader audience than just chemists,” said Robin Rogers, a member of the American Chemical Society Committee on Environmental Improvement. “I have nominated one student from my group each year to participate for the past four or five years. Each time the students come back energized and engaged. The students meet other students from around the world and learn the very different views and 
perceptions other students may have as a result of their quite different cultures. This is an experience that is hard to get in the classroom and typically can only be gained by getting out into 
the world.”

Representatives from more than 190 countries will attend the event.

“From a professional standpoint, Catherine is clever, and has two necessary skills for a future successful career: critical thinking and the ability to discover innovative approaches of doing things,” said Julia Shaminshina, a research chemist who works with King. “From a personal perspective, she definitely knows what she is doing and what she wants to do, is dedicated. It’s simply easy to work with her. She is enthusiastic, open-minded, able to work hard and has a permanent 
positive view of life.”

“The role of the eight student delegates is to be an observer and share our experiences with others,” King said. “While at the conference, we will be attending talks, 
interviewing delegates and blogging about our experiences. Mostly we want to absorb everything we can around us at the conference and try to get others back home excited about the issues.”

King said she was very excited about the upcoming conference.

“I am extremely honored and I plan to do what I can to share my experiences at the conference with others, especially here at The University of Alabama,” she said. “I know that climate change has become a very politically charged topic, but I think it is very important to keep facts separate from opinion and that is part of what has got me so excited about the conference. It will give me a way to understand how climate change can really affect people’s lives, and I will do my best to share these experiences 
with others.”

King said she plans to continue with her studies and pursue a doctorate in 
materials chemistry.

“Besides gaining a broader 
perspective on how other cultures see today’s society impact on climate change, this experience will also help Catherine understand and carry the message that the young generation has to come together and change the view of society on climate change and how day-by-day activities make the mark on climate,” said Gabriela Gurau, a researcher who also works with King.