Pianist to perform in Moody Music Building

Whatley, a Georgia native, completed her master’s degree in music and doctorate in musical arts for piano performance at the University of Southern California and has 
performed in many cities across the U.S. She recently moved back to the South to a home in Birmingham with her husband and two daughters, 
and she became a part of the 
adjunct music faculty at Birmingham-Southern College 
last fall.

“It’s really great to be back [in the South], to reconnect with old connections, and also to make new ones,” she said.

Whatley spoke with Kevin Chance, instructor of piano at The University of Alabama, to 
organize the concert, and she said she hopes to have Chance perform at Birmingham-Southern as well. This will be Whatley’s first performance at the University and she said she is 
looking forward to the recital.

Whatley’s program includes one extended work by Beethoven and other shorter pieces from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, which she said are her favorite periods for piano music. The variety of pieces will include something for everyone, she said.

Whatley said she considers her 
recital to be an “informance,” or an informal performance, in which she will speak to the audience between each piece of music.

“I hope that I can bridge the gap between the audience and the 
performer, like they’re on stage with me,” she said. “I hope [the audience] can see the music how I see it.”

Chandler Sawyers, a junior 
majoring in music therapy, has attended multiple guest artist performances at the University and said he is interested to see Whatley perform. He said being able to listen intently to other artists and observe their techniques solidifies the 
education he is receiving in his 
music classes.

“It’s a great opportunity to be able to come and hear the interpretation of musical pieces from someone who has had years of 
previous teaching,” he said. “You 
typically take lessons from one professor while you’re [at the University], and you hear their interpretations of music. It’s great to hear other interpretations, and also to hear the consistencies between 
the two.”

Whatley’s concert will take place Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in the Recital Hall of thex Moody Music 
Building. Student tickets are $3 and general admission tickets are $10.