Men's basketball faces road trips

Men's basketball faces road trips

For the second time in five seasons, the Alabama basketball team will carry a double-digit win record into its first road SEC game. With its highest scoring offense in years and coming off a 65-44 win over Texas A&M, Alabama (11-3, 1-0 SEC) will look to continue its momentum into its upcoming road trip to take on Tennessee and South Carolina.

“I think, you know, playing the non-conference schedule we did, going against the challenges that we face, I think we are ready for SEC play,” coach Anthony Grant said. “For the most part I think that our guys played well but they need the face the challenge put in front of them and that’s what you want to see. You want to see a team continue to grow and get better and answer the bell.”

Though Alabama is guard-reliant offense, it has come to rely on a pair of new forwards this season – freshman Riley Norris and junior transfer Michael Kessens. Kessens has picked up double-digit rebounds twice this season and posted double-digit points three times, 
including a 10-point mark against Texas A&M.

“That’s something that we try to work on, is getting better in terms of rebounding the basketball on both ends of the floor,” Grant said. “I think those guys did a great job against Texas A&M. It was a great team effort.”

The Crimson Tide will start a two-game road trip in Knoxville Saturday, taking on an injury-riddled Tennessee team that has struggled to score this season. Tennessee’s 66 points per game ranks 222nd in college basketball and 12th in the conference.

After Saturday’s game against the Volunteers, Alabama will travel to South Carolina for a test against a team that ranks in the top five in the SEC in both scoring offense and scoring defense.

“Certainly the challenge of going on the road in this league and trying to get a win, no matter where you’re playing or who you’re playing, is tough,” Grant said. “This league has done an outstanding job in the non-conference. I think you look at our strength of schedule or teams’ RPI, it’s a very strong league. It’s going to be a very fun race.”