Rec Center offers gear

There are dozens of campgrounds across the state, giving students the opportunities for weekend camping trips at very little cost. Passes usually do not cost more than a 
few dollars.

“Alabama is an all-season camping state, with a lot of places to go,” said Wren Smith, a graduate student studying accounting and a member of the Outdoor Rec staff.

According to the Outdoor Recreation’s map system, AlaBeta, there are at least four campgrounds within an hour drive from the University. There are more campgrounds across the state for those willing to 
drive farther.

Talladega National Forest, which is separated into two areas, offers nice camping with great views, Smith said.

When camping in the winter, Smith said it is essential to bring the proper gear. A tent, cooking sets, a sleeping bag rated for 20-degree weather and a ground pad are important pieces of equipment for cold-weather camping.

“The pad adds extra insulation and elevates you off of bumps and rocks,” Smith said. “Also, don’t hammock camp in the winter. You will lose body heat.”

Smith also cautioned campers to be wary of the hunting seasons when going camping, so as to avoid the danger of being accidentally shot.

Students are able to rent all necessary gear, as well as kayaks and canoes, from the Outdoor Rec rental center at daily, weekend and weekly rates.

“I like camping because it enables me to get away from everyday life and be in a place where I feel comfortable,” said Griffin Hoard, a sophomore majoring in American studies. “Another reason I like camping is because you always seem to get a good story out of it.”

Hoard said he enjoys several camping areas north of Birmingham, as well as Lake Lurleen State Park, citing the trails and views of the landscapes as the biggest draws.