Men's tennis travels to Chapel HIll for ITA Kick-Off Weekend

If Alabama wins against Virginia Tech on Friday, it will be scheduled to play the winner of the North Carolina vs. Oregon match the following day.

“Our goal is to win the first one and play North Carolina, because the winner of that gets an invite to the National Team Indoors,” Alabama coach George Husack said.

Although there is an ideal plan of how he’d like the weekend to go, Husack said right now facing off against Virginia Tech is at the forefront of 
his mind.

“North Carolina is very good, but I’m not even looking at that match really,” he said. “We have to look at Virginia Tech. They’re very strong and have everybody back, but we’ll be ready.”

There is nothing specific the team will do in order to prepare for Friday. Husack said he believes that as long as it practices like it did this past week, it will be prepared for its match – the key is to get better every day.

Husack, along with senior Stuart Kenyon and freshman Korey Lovett, said the team will be ready to replicate last Monday’s success on Friday. They said they know there are little things that will need to be worked on at practice this week, but looking back to the season opener, they are satisfied with the team’s performance.

“I was kind of overall happy about my game [Monday],” Kenyon said. “It really is just tightening up the notches about everything. Serving, a few more first serves, and returning better. It really is just fine tuning things.”

Like Kenyon, Lovett knows there are things each individual player will have to work on improving throughout 
the season.

“For me, it’s not giving any free points away,” he said. “Just focusing on all the positives from [Monday] and correcting all the things that didn’t go well.”

The team will have a few days of practice to do its fine tuning before heading to Chapel Hill. The men will start their first match Friday against Virginia Tech at 9 a.m. The Crimson Tide will either play at 2 p.m. or 5:30 p.m. Saturday versus North Carolina or Oregon, pending Saturday’s result.