1/28/14 News in Brief

Alabama softball ranked No. 4 in preseason poll

The preseason ESPN.com/USA Softball poll released Tuesday has Alabama at No. 4. The Crimson Tide is ranked No. 3 in the USA Today/NFCA preseason poll after finishing 2014 with a 53-13 record and reaching the championship series of the Women’s College World Series for the second time in three years, including a win in 2012.

Compiled by Kelly Ward

Alabama gymnast named SEC Specialist of the Week

Alabama gymnast Kaitlyn Clark was named the SEC Specialist of the Week, the conference announced on Tuesday. She won her second vault title in three weeks after posting a career-best 9.975 against then-No. 1 Florida. She also put up the top score for Alabama on the floor exercise.

Compiled by Kelly Ward

WiSE holding symposium for women in STEM fields

Women in STEM Experience is hosting its annual symposium, “Navigating the Future,” throughout the day on Saturday starting at 9 a.m. at Shelby Hall. The symposium is aimed at women in the STEM professions who hope to meet faculty, staff, professionals and fellow scholars. The event’s keynote speaker will be Jenna Carpenter, director of the Office for Women in Science and Engineering at Louisiana Tech University. Register online at graduate.ua.edu/about/events.

Compiled by Katie Shepherd

Student Alumni Association membership application due

Applications for membership in the Student Alumni Association are due Friday, Jan. 30 at midnight. The application can be found online at saa.ua.edu/membership-application. The Student Alumni Association is designed to support the National Alumni Association and collaborates with other associations on campus to involve a variety of students and staff members.

Compiled by Katie Shepherd

Honors College to host current events discussion

The Honors College will host an open discussion, “Hot Topics,” Wednesday, Jan. 28 in the Blount lobby. Cornelius Carter, director of dance at the University, will be a guest speaker at the event and will discuss current events affecting our nation, state and campus. The event is open to all Honors and Blount students and pizza will be provided for attendees.

Compiled by Katie Shepherd

Collegiate Bass Fishing Open registration open

Registration for the 2015 Collegiate Bass Fishing Open begins Wednesday. The event will occur April 17-19 on Lake Chickamauga and will be a two-boat, four-man team competition. Registration opens at 8 a.m. and can be found on the Collegiate Bass Fishing website at collegiatebasschampionship.com.

Compiled by Katie Shepherd