SGA honors Wilder, proposes fundraising

“We got some more legislation through, so that is something I 100 percent like to see,” said Speaker 
Branden Greenberg.

Senator Patrick Fitzgerald, a sophomore majoring in international marketing, introduced the Spirit of Alabama Act, which would raise approximately $900,000 to reinvest in the student body to provide services to students, as well as an on-campus concert sponsored by the SGA.

“Why not invest more into this student body?” he said. “Why not put it in the hands of the SGA to try and do more for our students? That’s what we’re here for, to be a voice for the students.”

Two other resolutions were also introduced during the meeting. One proposed restructuring the class registration procedures with respect to priority registration. Instead of all Honors College members getting 
priority over non-member students, it was proposed that Honors College students would have priority only with respect to other students in their grade level. The intent of the legislation is to prevent situations where seniors are not able to get into classes required 
for graduation.

The other resolution was proposed by Senator Eugene Berry, a senior majoring in pediatric development. Berry’s resolution would create town hall meetings for students to meet with their SGA representatives to discuss issues relevant to the student body.

“I wrote the town hall bill because when I was running for senate, I told my constituents that I wanted to ensure that we were actually building a connection between senators and the people that we are serving,” he said. “My hope was that by creating something like this it would foster an environment in which students would feel comfortable enough to come and talk to their senators.”