Tide prepares for new season in new location

Coach Mitch Gaspard’s team will begin play on Feb. 13 with a weekend series against Maryland Eastern Shore. The team will play its home games at the Hoover Metropolitan Stadium while Sewell-Thomas Stadium is renovated.

“Looking at the big picture, we’ve been prepared for this,” Gaspard said. “We knew this travel was going to be part of the year, but also it’s a great opportunity to play in a beautiful 
ballpark like the Hoover Met.”

Gaspard will have to replace starting pitchers Justin Kamplain and Spencer Turnbull, who both signed professional contracts after last season. Likely candidates are senior left-hander Taylor Guilbeau, sophomore and Hoover native Geoffrey Bramblett and 
sophomore righty Nick Eicholtz.

The Crimson Tide will also have to replace its top three hitters from last year – Austen Smith, Ben Moore and Wade Wass – all of whom are now 
playing professionally.

Offensively, the team returns shortstop Mikey White, catcher Will Haynie, second baseman Kyle Overstreet, infielder Chance Vincent and outfielders Casey Hughston and 
Georgie Salem.

“We lost some good arms and some good bats,” White said. “I think the guys that we have coming back and the guys that we have coming in make up a really talented group.”

The team also has a group of freshmen headlined by pitcher Andrew DiPiazza and infielder Chandler Avant. DiPiazza is a 6 foot 6 inch right-hander from New Jersey, and Avant is a middle infielder who was ranked as the fifth best prospect in the state of Alabama by Perfect Game USA.

“Chandler Avant has done a real good job for us and certainly could be a leadoff hitter,” Gaspard said. “He’s done a really good job for us 
offensively up to this point.”

DiPiazza and junior college transfer Will Carter started Saturday’s intrasquad scrimmage in Hoover while Bramblett and Guilbeau started in the one Friday.

The bullpen returns righties Jay Shaw and Jake Hubbard and closer Thomas Burrows. It will also receive other contributions, with freshman lefty Alex Watkins and the pitchers who don’t make the starting rotation.

Injury-wise, the team will be without left-hander Jon Keller, who will miss the entire season after undergoing surgery on his elbow. Keller had a 5-2 record with a 2.97 ERA in 14 
appearances and eight starts last year.