Practice continues despite Ingram’s absence

The University of Alabama football team had one of its last practices before the first game of the season in the Thomas-Drew Practice Fields on Tuesday. The Crimson Tide drilled in full pads with no black jerseys present. Though junior running back Mark Ingram’s presence was missed on the field, practice went on as usual as the Tide continued fine tuning techniques.

Players ready for home opener

After a long spring and fall, the Tide can finally hit players with other-colored jerseys Saturday when they take on the San Jose State Spartans in the newly renovated Bryant-Denny Stadium. Alabama players can finally take out all of their aggression on someone other than a teammate.

Junior center William Vlachos said he was ready to play someone other than a teammate. “We’re very excited [to play],” Vlachos said. “It’s why you practice.” Sophomore running back Trent Richardson, who will be taking the bulk of the carries this Saturday in place of the injured Ingram, said he is ready to play at home. “[Starting a game is] going to feel like high school again,” Richardson said. “But it’s no biggie. [I’m] just happy to be playing back in Bryant-Denny.”

Team ready to step up in Ingram’s absence

In the absence of Ingram, many players will need to step up Saturday to ensure there isn’t a drop off on the offensive side of the ball. Fortunately for the Tide, all of the backups are ready to use this as an opportunity to better themselves against San Jose.

Vlachos commented on what he and the rest of the offensive line would have to do in order to help the backup players transition into carrying the bulk of the game. The prospective starters for the Tide’s offensive line consist of left tackle James Carpenter, left guard Chance Warmack, Vlachos at center, right guard Barrett Jones and right tackle D.J. Fluker.

“Do our job, do what we got to do, get a hat on a hat,” Vlachos said. “Hopefully these guys will use this opportunity to step up.” Vlachos even noted his own improvement.

“[I’m] always improving,” he said. “Trying to get bigger, stronger, faster. Experience from last year certainly helped me.”