Hudson leads growth of UA College Democrats

Reshad Hudson, a senior majoring in telecommunications and film and political science, currently serves as president of the University of Alabama College Democrats. Hudson is from Birmingham and joined the College Democrats his freshman year.

Q: Why did you want to get involved in College Democrats?

A: I was fascinated with politics growing up, and my friends were interested in it so then I went to some meetings with friends. Then I started agreeing with the ideas, and I wanted to learn more about government and how it affects people.

Q: What has been your main goal this past year as president?

A: My main goal is just increasing the number size. We had midterm elections last fall, so I wanted to help the students get more involved in politics by working on campaigns, learning how campaigns are run and hearing from some of the political leaders and our state leaders as well. Another goal was to increase the knowledge of politics on campus, help students get registered to vote and make people more aware of what’s going on with current events – and not even from a political aspect, just news and how it affects our everyday lives.

Q: What would you consider are the main values of the UA College Democrats?

A: That would be promoting progressive values.

Q: What do you think is the biggest problem facing young people today?

A: The affordability of college is one of the biggest problems facing young people today. Under President [Barack] Obama we have seen more students attending college with investments in Pell Grants and lower student loan rates. I would also include finding a job after graduation, but we must remain hopeful – we are seeing the job market starting to grow.

Q: Where do you see yourself in five years?

A: Hopefully on CNN as one of their political reporters.

Q: How will your involvement in College Democrats help your future career?

A: During my time as a College Democrat, I have learned the importance of being a voice for the voiceless. In my career as a news correspondent, I will be helping people share their stories. My two passions are politics and media, and when they come together, it’s powerful.

Q: What would you say to someone interested in joining College Democrats?

A: College Democrats is a safe and respectful environment to learn and share political ideas. It is a place where like-minded individuals can come together and work on progressive campus and community projects. This past month we helped people throughout the Tuscaloosa area register for the Affordable Care Act. Our meetings are informative, educational and impactful.

Q: What are you most excited about in College Democrats?

A: This month we’re having a speaker series to celebrate Black History Month. We had Dr. George Daniels and he talked to us about politics and media. Dr. Trudier Harris came, and she wrote a book on [Martin Luther King, Jr.] that focused on heroism in African American literature. Dr. Cassandra Simon is a social worker and is speaking this week. Next week we have Judge Elisabeth French, a Birmingham circuit court judge, speaking on judges’ authority. This is the first year for the series and it’s sort of a recruiting tool. We’re going to Selma, Alabama, on March 7 to hear President Obama speak and to celebrate the end of the series. We’re all carpooling and any members can come.

College Democrats meets every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in 133 Lloyd Hall. For more information, visit their Facebook page “University of Alabama College Democrats.”