Women's basketball falls to No. 15 Mississippi State

Most of the record setting crowd of 3,133 cheered as the final buzzer sounded. Unfortunately for the home team, those fans were wearing maroon.

The Alabama women’s basketball team lost its third game in a week, losing to No. 14 Mississippi State 57-55. The loss drops Alabama to 13-16 overall, and 2-12 in SEC play. Mississippi State grabbed twice as many rebounds as Alabama, including the last one, to claim the victory.

Despite attempting 19 less shots, Alabama had the chance to tie the game up in the final 19 seconds, but freshman Karyla Middlebrook’s jumper was contested and ultimately fell short. Coach Kristy Curry said confusion kept the team from executing the final play properly.

“Sometimes that happens and you hope they can learn from it, grow from it,” Curry said. “But it wasn’t the last play it was a culmination through out the game and we could not make a play down the stretch.”

Senior guard Sharin Rivers said both fan bases motivated her to elevate her level of play.

“I thought their fans got me riled up,” Rivers said. “They are making all the noise hooping and hollering and we looking at our fans and they doing the same thing it gives us energy and momentum.”

Sophomore forward Ashley Williams also seemed to feed off of the atmosphere as she scored 21 in the loss. It was the sixth time this season and the first time in conference play that she up 20 or more points.

Curry said most of the players took advantage of the opportunity the game provided them and represented the Power of Pink and the Play 4Kay causes well.

“We had 5 survivors in the locker room before the game,” Curry said. “I thought both teams were really fearless and represented what the cause was in a really special way today.”

Rivers said every experience helps the team improve. She said the team needs to focus on finishing the season strong.

“It was tough that we didn’t get this one but now we move on to the next game,” Rivers said.