UA Air Force detachment teaches students respect, discipline

With over 130 cadets, the University of Alabama’s Air Force ROTC Detachment 010 prepares young college students to become well-trained Air Force Officers. The cadets live by their core values, “Integrity First, Service Before Self, and Excellence In All We Do.”

A typical day in Air Force ROTC begins early with Physical Training and Flag Detail. The flag is raised immediately at 7:30 a.m. The quick pace symbolizes how the American military is quick to rise in the morning, ready for duty, according to an e-mailed statement provided by Cadet 1st Manuel Fernandez. The flag is lowered slowly at 4:30 p.m. to the national anthem, and ROTC invites all who feel called to stop in respect of the flag.

The AFROTC’s physical training teaches respect, as well, according to cadets.

“As an incoming freshman to the Air Force ROTC, I had no idea what to expect. I kept myself ready at all times, expecting the worst,” said new Cadet Tyler Tashie. “Only being in ROTC for two weeks, I can say that it’s not for the weak. Physical training has taught me to expect more from myself and push my body’s limits.”

Cadet Taylor Wright agreed.

“I was glad to see that they had exceeded my expectations and showed me a challenge that I am ready to accept,” she said.

Along with physical training, flight meetings and regular classes, AFROTC challenges character as well, according to several cadets.

“ROTC will teach me to be a better person and to respect everyone I come into contact with. I look forward to learning more about ROTC as I continue in the program,” Tashie said.

Cadet Waylon Brusch also expressed how ROTC has taught him more about the Air Force and the opportunities that await him.

“In the last two weeks of physical training, class and flight meetings, the AFROTC has more than exceeded my expectations,” Brusch said.

“The people involved are a cut above in personality, drive and support. In class, I have learned things I did not know about the Air Force and what it has to offer,” he said.

“As a pre-med biology major, there are more opportunities available for me than I expected,” Brusch said. “Physical training, on the other hand, is everything I expected and then a lot more. It definitely tests your physical abilities, but you always have a wingman to push you through. I plan to stick with the ROTC and see where it takes me and I look forward to whatever we do next. This is an excellent program and I am proud to be a part of it.”

Cadet Wright also pointed out her goals beyond college, and her pride in the Air Force. “Being a part of the military family has been my whole life, but now I am getting the chance to train for the future, and hope to become a part of the United States Air Force,” she said. “What more can a girl ask for?”