Bonner's UA cookbook to return

Bonner's UA cookbook to return

“Nothing But the Best,” developed 20 years ago by Judy Bonner while she was dean of HES, will be a collection of recipes from students, faculty, alumni and friends of the University. The cookbook was originally developed to unite members of the University community and to create scholarships for HES students.

“The first edition of the cookbook is a well-loved treasure that many members of the community regularly reference in their kitchens,” said Theresa Mince, a graduate student studying health studies who is working on the cookbook.

Mary Meyer, professor and assistant dean of HES, said she loves to cook and has taught cooking classes for 35 years.

“Being able to work on a project that combines my passion for foods and being able to help the college all in one, what could be better?” she said.

Each recipe in the book provides contributor information, so anyone can share their experiences they had cooking one another’s recipes with members of the University community.

“The cookbook is an opportunity to gather recipes from all over campus and the community in one place,” Mince said. “We have the chance to collect family recipes that date back generations, as well as new, fresh ideas that highlight current food trends.”

Those in charge of reviving the cookbook said they hope to get a wide variety of recipes from old classics, to healthy choices, kid-friendly options and new favorites that embody both the diverse culture and tradition of this campus.

Lessye DeMoss, a graduate student studying anthropology at the University, is submitting one of her favorite creations for the cookbook, an original recipe for pumpkin pancakes.

The layout and purpose of the new cookbook are the same as the original and HES is planning to release it in print and as an e-book in order to allow more access to the University community near and far. The release date is to be determined, but recipe submissions should be sent in as soon as possible to [email protected].