In wake of Selma, embrace equality

The 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday was commemorated with much fanfare in Selma, Alabama, this past weekend. The coverage of this event focused on unity, bravery and understanding rather than on the polarization, partisan vitriol, hatred and demonization that is commonplace in our media.

Bloody Sunday led to the passage of the Voting Rights Act not solely because of the brutality of that day, but because the victims of that brutality struck a chord of empathy in many Americans. Today, many of the social issues we debate are not as simplistic as they were in 1965. They are not black and white, good and evil, dominance and subordination. However, as our cultural divides have grown more complex, we seem to have lost an important tool needed to cope with our disagreements: empathy.

This lack of empathy is displayed even by the name we give our differences: “the culture wars.” While we may be divided, while we may strongly disagree, while we may stand on our principles and be unmoved, as long as we are Americans, we are not at war with our neighbors. This absence of war is not guaranteed. It is contingent on our ability to maintain peace through mutual understanding.

Selma is not just a place. It is not just a time. It is not just an event. Selma is a state of mind that occurs when we recognize the value of our fellow citizens even if we disagree with their beliefs. It is the state of mind we need to realize that people who believe abortion is murder and those who believe it’s the medical right of every woman can both be kind citizens who contribute to the strength of our society. It is the state of mind we need to be able to say to both the parents of Tamir Rice and the families of NYPD Officers Ramos and Liu, “I’m sorry for your loss.” It is the state of mind we need to recognize that there are pains from being unable to marry who you choose and that there are pains from compromising deeply held religious beliefs.

When an event happens that makes us want to reach for hate, to Selma we must go. We must return to a time when we experienced more civil strife than at any point in our history excepting only the Civil War, and we must decide again, as our forefathers did, not to go to war against our neighbors. If we can do this then no matter the size of the gulf that divides us, we as a society shall overcome.

As we open the pages of a new chapter of SGA on our campus today, The University of Alabama must also go to Selma. We must forgive each other the wounds inflicted during a passionate campaign and re-extend the bonds of friendship, trust, and empathy to each other.

Off to Selma we go.

Leigh Terry is a junior majoring in economics. Her column runs biweekly.