Football player charged for abuse

Football player charged for abuse

Alabama defensive lineman Jonathan Taylor was arrested and charged with domestic violence Saturday evening – his second arrest for domestic violence. 

Taylor, a recent transfer to The University of Alabama after his dismissal from The University of Georgia, was booked into the Tuscaloosa County Jail on $1,000 bond, according to a Tuscaloosa Police Department media release. Taylor was dismissed from the program, Alabama coach Nick Saban announced Sunday afternoon. 

“Tuscaloosa Police responded to UAPD (1110 Jackson Ave) to speak with a victim who stated she was assaulted by her boyfriend at approximately 6:00 pm this evening (3/28/15),” the statement reads. “Upon arrival officers spoke with the victim about an altercation that took place at her residence in the 100 Block of E 15th Street. After speaking with the victim officers located the suspect at the victim’s residence and spoke to him about the incident. Officers found probable cause to arrest the suspect for Domestic Violence 3rd Degree Assault and Domestic Violence 3rd Degree Criminal Mischief.”

According to the release, the victim had minor neck injuries.

Taylor enrolled at the University in January after spending a season at Copiah-Lincoln Community College. He was dismissed from The University of Georgia in July 2014 after an incident in which police said he choked his then-girlfriend and struck her with “a closed fist.” He was indicted on two felony charges of aggravated assault/family violence in November.

Taylor was also arrested during his time at the University of Georgia for theft by deception. 

“UA is aware of the incident,” a UA spokesperson said in a statement late Saturday night. “The student has been referred to judicial affairs.”

Sunday afternoon, UA Athletics released a statement from Nick Saban.

“Jonathan Taylor has been dismissed from the team and is no longer a part of our program,” Saban’s statement read. “This will still need to go through the legal process, but when he was given an opportunity here, it was under strict guidelines and we made it clear there was a zero tolerance policy.”

Later Sunday afternoon, Alabama director of athletics Bill Battle released a statement on Taylor’s arrest. 

“Representing this University is a privilege that none of us can take for granted,” Battle’s statement read. “As I noted in my comments when the decision was made to allow Jonathan Taylor to attend the University on a football scholarship, I believe in second chances. I still do. However, being successful in that second chance requires responsibility and accountability. In Jonathan’s situation, the University and the Department of Athletics set forth very clear standards of accountability and expectations of conduct. Jonathan was afforded a chance to successfully overcome the difficulties that resulted in his departure from the University of Georgia. Unfortunately, it appears that he was unable to do so, in spite of extensive efforts to assist him.

“All of us hope that Jonathan and the young lady involved can deal constructively with the issues that led to this situation and their aftermath, so that both of them can have productive, healthy futures. Violent conduct by any representative of the University of Alabama athletics department will not be tolerated. More than ever, we take seriously the responsibility that all of us have to represent our University and our state in the best way possible – in competition and in daily life.”

Taylor’s arrest came one day after Alabama defensive back Geno Smith’s arrest for driving under the influence. Smith was also arrested for DUI in 2013 and was suspended for the season opener that year.