Ingram almost game-ready

Junior running back Mark Ingram participated in parts of practice Wednesday and is close to being ready to play, according to head coach Nick Saban.

“Mark was in gear today for some of the stuff and did some running,” Saban said. “He’s getting close, but I just don’t know if he can get enough practice time to play in the [Penn State] game or not.”

Ingram had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee on Aug. 31 after injuring it the day before. Saban said it’s possible Ingram would be healthy enough to play Saturday, but it would be unlikely that he would have the practice time behind him to be put in the game.

“Until he goes out on the field and practices and gains confidence in himself as well as his physical condition, then [he won’t play],” Saban said. “We’re not pushing Mark back in the game. We’re not jeopardizing his future, his career or anything else.

“If there’s anybody in the world that could play without practicing, it’s probably Mark because he’s a student of the game; he watches everything; he understands everything; he knows everything, and he’s a tremendous competitor. He’s got a lot of experience, but we would never put him in that situation.”

Saban scolds booing

After practice Wednesday, Saban said Alabama has too much class to be booing opposing teams and said it would be a shame if the Crimson Tide booed Penn State when its team runs out of the tunnel Saturday.

“[Penn State] is a class program with class people that have been there for 45 years and done wonderful things for college football and the game of football,” Saban said. “I think it would be a damn cryin’ ass shame if we boo ‘em when they come out of the stadium like we did last week’s team. I just don’t understand that.”

Although booing the opposing team has been going on since before Saban arrived at Alabama, he said this week was the first he heard of that happening.

“I think the University of Alabama has a tremendous amount of class,” Saban said. “I think Dr. Witt has done a fantastic job of making this a very well-respected national institution.

“I just don’t think there’s any place for booing anywhere in college football, and that includes booing the other team. That’s certainly not what I think a class institution and a class place should do to their own or to anyone else.”

Senior tight end Preston Dial said Wednesday that Alabama gets booed whenever the Tide is on the road and that he uses it as a motivational factor.

“LSU, Auburn – pretty much any road game, we get booed,” he said. “Personally, it’s a motivating factor. It just adds intensity to the game.”

Practice notes

–       Freshman linebacker Jalston Fowler ran drills with the running backs in Wednesday’s practice. Saban said he is still primarily a defensive player but that the Tide could use him at fullback in short-yardage situations.

–       Saban said junior linebacker Courtney Upshaw (ankle) practiced some in Wednesday’s practice and should be able to play Saturday.