Crimson Tide softball hosts UAB

Crimson Tide softball hosts UAB

While most in-season sports had conference games this weekend, No. 7 Alabama softball took a break. After nine straight weeks of play minus some weather-related cancellations, the Crimson Tide enjoyed a weekend off.

“It doesn’t happen often,” sophomore infielder Marisa Runyon said. “We’re very thankful that we did get it. I think we went [nine] weeks in a row playing. Luckily [head coach Patrick Murphy] gave us a few days off.”

Since the second game against Kentucky on April 4, the Crimson Tide pitching staff hasn’t given up an earned run in 22 innings.

“It’s just working us together and using the combination of us against good-hitting teams and all three of us just doing what we do,” senior right-hander Leslie Jury said.

This week, Alabama hosts two midweek games before traveling to in-state rival Auburn. The Crimson Tide plays UAB on Tuesday for the second time in as many weeks. Last week, Alabama came out on top 10-0 in five innings for Murphy’s 900th career win.

“It’s so much fun playing behind a coach that has so much passion for the game and all the girls on the team and it’s fun because I don’t think there’s anybody else that deserves it more than him,” Runyon said. “He trusts all of us. He gives us all an opportunity at one point or another, and you don’t see many coaches like that. And not only on the field he makes us a better player, but he makes us a better person at life.”

Alabama saw four UAB pitchers in the win. The starting pitcher Megan Smith pitched 2.1 innings in the loss.

“Kind of surprised me that we did see everybody and hopefully that’s going to help us,” Murphy said. “They’re doing really well, and I think they’re up to 45 which is really good for RPI. They’re right there in line for a regional berth because usually the cutoff is right about there.”

Runyon went on a tear in the two midweek games. She went 2-for-2 against UAB with two RBI and a run. In Wednesday’s 11-0 win over Middle Tennessee State, she went 2-for-3 with four RBI and two runs. Her two hits were home runs.

The last time an Alabama player had multiple home runs in one game was Jaclyn Traina on March 27, 2013, at Houston.

“I guess I am seeing it pretty well,” Runyon said. “I know last week at Decatur, Murph told us before the game, you know, just have fun and enjoy the time there, especially with it being Little Dan’s [Danielle Richard], a bunch of her family and friends, I just kind of wanted to go out there and do it for her and just put on a show. I just wanted to have fun, really, no pressure, just play the game that I love.”

Alabama (31-9) hosts UAB (26-13) Tuesday at 6 p.m.