CB recovering from surgery

CB recovering from surgery

Cyrus Jones is coming off of a career season. Jones was starting at cornerback for the whole season and recorded 46 tackles along with two forced fumbles and three interceptions. What most people do not know is that Jones played through the whole season with a torn labrum, a muscle in the hip. Jones announced that last June he suffered the injury during 
summer workouts.

“As soon I was diagnosed with it, I knew I would need surgery, but being as though I got it diagnosed in the summertime during workouts, I couldn’t get surgery because that would mean I would have to sit out during the season,” Jones said. “So I just had to deal with it through 
the season.”

Jones said he had the surgery on January 14, soon after the season ended. He said there was a lot of pain but it was not very serious. He said during the summer and fall he was held out of some running drills and had to do some alternative conditioning. He said he had various types of treatment that would make it easier for him to go out and play on gameday.

“I would just like to be out there with guys getting better,” he said. “It’s hard just sitting on the side, watching them going at it and competing.”

Jones said he probably has a few more months before he is back to 100 percent. In the meantime he said he has enjoyed working and talking with the other defensive backs like freshman Ronnie Harrison, who has received a lot of praise from various players including Jones. Harrison is an early enrollee from Tallahassee, Florida, where he was four-star safety in high school.

“I’m definitely just trying to do whatever I can do to help the younger guys out,” Jones said. “Especially guys coming in just trying to make that transition from high school to college.”

Alabama has seen a lot of changes and different packages in the secondary while Jones has been out. It remains to be seen what the secondary will look like come fall, but Jones is expected to be back and competing by then.

“I’m just seeing a lot of guys going out there and competing, taking advantage of the reps, and just trying to get out there and get better,” he said. “They have taking coaching well. I just think that when I get out there it is going to be that much more fun, just being a part of it and not having to sit on the side and watch.”