Former Cuban Air Force General turned defector to give lecture

In his memoir “Inside Castro’s Bunker,” former Brigadier General Rafael del Pino recalls his experience coming up in Cuba as a 17-year-old, freedom-loving idealist, working his way up to become Fidel Castro’s right-hand. He details the actions of the communist leader as he worked to establish a Communist dictatorship just 90 miles from the U.S coast. 

In his book, del Pino recounts many scenes and ordeals which have rarely been shared outside of debriefing rooms, many dealing with Fidel Castro’s alliance with the Soviet Republic and antagonism of the United States throughout the Cold War. After being honored as a hero of the revolution for his actions during the Bay of Pigs incident, del Pino quickly moved up in the rankings, soon becoming Castro’s trusted deputy, often being called on before the air force chief.

“Fidel trusted him with everything. When he defected, he didn’t make any friends in Cuba,” said Larry Clayton, professor of history emeritus. “It was a fascinating defection. He just spilled the beans. He told a lot of people, especially CIA and defense people, what Fidel’s operation was.” 

Del Pino remains the highest-ranking Cuban official to defect to the U.S.

“I think it will be a great opportunity for UA to get some real insight into the real Fidel and Raul Castro,” Clayton said. “Citizens in this country are only peripherally aware of the problems facing Cuban life.”

Now a staunch proponent of Western democracy for Cuba, Del Pino will deliver a lecture free to the public on his memoir Monday afternoon in ten Hoor Hall, covering a range of topics regarding Cuba’s historical and current political environment.