Local businesses aid river preservation

“Our ‘Save the Black Warrior’ partnership with SweetWater has raised over $68,000 for our clean water advocacy since 2008,” said Charles Scribner, executive director of Black Warrior Riverkeeper.

The event was originally started by Atlanta company SweetWater Brewing Co., partners with waterkeepers and conservation organizations in a coordinated effort around the South to preserve clean water.

“Save the Black Warrior” is a local outgrowth focused on the Black Warrior River, one of 2013’s top-10 most endangered rivers in America.

The Black Warrior runs through Birmingham, Tuscaloosa and 17 other Alabama counties and its tributaries provide water for residents. A recent success in this effort was Drummond Coal’s decision to not renew its mining permit for Shepherd Bend, a property owned by the University.

“I think it’s really important for all students and citizens of the Tuscaloosa area to get on board with this initiative because it really comes back to us,” said Kristen Ellis, 
public relations intern at Black Warrior Riverkeeper and UA senior majoring in advertising and public relations. “The drinking water that we use is being conserved and because of the efforts of Black Warrior Riverkeeper is pollution-free and it stays clean for our enjoyment.”

Participating businesses will accept donations and sell SweetWater’s seasonal brew, Waterkeeper Hefeweizen. A list of participating businesses can be found on the Black Warrior 
Riverkeeper’s website.