Basketball student section relocated to sideline

The view from the student section in Coleman Coliseum will be different-and much closer-in the upcoming men’s basketball season.

UA Athletics announced via press release a plan to relocate the student section from the elevated corner of the arena to sections R through V, including sections R and S, located on the sideline directly across from the visitor bench.

“One of the first things I noticed, and wanted to change, upon my hiring at The University of Alabama was to improve the fan experience at Coleman Coliseum, especially for our students,” coach Avery Johnson said in the release. “We have a large population of on-campus students and we want them to create the type of environment that’s needed and seen at the highest level. We are excited for this transition and we appreciate everyone’s support and understanding throughout this process.”

As the release notes, Coleman Coliseum was one of the few arenas in the SEC without a large student section seated directly on the arena floor. 

“Students love to use body paint, to dress in costumes, and other things like that in order to see themselves on television,” Johnson said. “Their preference is to be close to the court where they can be seen and feel like they are helping their team. It puts them in a better position to cheer for our Crimson Tide team and against our opponent. We feel this is the start of creating a better environment at our games for our students.”