Students gather information at study abroad fair

Students interested in studying abroad in London, France, Italy and many other countries could learn about the opportunities available at the study abroad fair in the Ferguson Center on Sept. 13.

“There are different ways students can go abroad through UA faculty-led programs, exchange programs and affiliate companies,” said Brittnay McMillian, study abroad advisor with the Capstone International academics program. “The relationship we have with the affiliates expand the opportunities and options students have to visit different countries.”

The study abroad fair is held every semester to give students the opportunity to gather information, she said, and there are always information sessions in the Capstone International office that can be held for students.

“The first step for students is to simply gain information about the different programs to see which one is best for them,” McMillian said.

Students have to answer questions about how long they want to go abroad, she added, as well as what country they want visit and what they want to study.

Summer program lengths vary, ranging from two to eight weeks, she said. There are also internships in many locations.

Andrew Rutkowski, a junior majoring in French and history, serves as a Capstone International agent and said he is glad to be a part of the program.

The Capstone International agents are students who have already studied abroad and can talk to students and answer questions they may have about their experiences.

“When I came back from Paris, I had such a reverse culture shock, and the program gave me a group of people to be able to talk about it with,” he said. “We became very close knit.”

Rutkowski is a Chicago native, where he said it’s very common for students to study abroad. When he came to school in the South, he said he was very shocked that a lot of people did not.

“This gives me the chance to let people know that they can do things such as take their major abroad,” he said. “I was able to help a girl today that was pre-med and did not know that she could take some of those courses abroad. This is what I think is one of the biggest things people don’t know.”

Michelle Ray, a sophomore majoring in marketing, said studying abroad helps students learn about other people’s cultures and their way of life.

“I have never traveled off the East Coast, and I hope to study abroad in Australia and study things that pertain to my major,” she said.

Katie Thurber, a freshman majoring in journalism, said she found the study abroad fair very helpful and the people very willing to help.

“I want to study abroad, maybe in my junior year, to somewhere in Europe,” she said. “I am very interested in studying the arts.”

She said she knows studying abroad is important, because it makes people well rounded and able to interact with other cultures.