Druid City Music Hall to replace Jupiter Bar

After Jupiter Bar lost its lease at the beginning of the year and frustration at the lack of options for live music in Tuscaloosa grew, entertainment agency Red Mountain Entertainment decided to update the venue with a new name and look. In addition to Moon Taxi, GRiZ and Corey Smith are scheduled to perform at the venue 
in October.

“We felt like there was a need for an events and music venue of this kind in Tuscaloosa,” said Betsy Kiser, director of marketing at Red Mountain Entertainment. “The location on the strip is a perfect opportunity to fill that void.”

College students and locals alike hope the music hall will bring success and popular artists to Tuscaloosa as Jupiter Bar once did. Performers such as Kenny Chesney, Big Gigantic, Dave Matthews Band and Luke Bryan were a few of the wide variety of acts that played at Jupiter Bar over the years. Kiser said Red Mountain Entertainment hopes to bring just as many diverse artists to town.

Anthony Franks, a junior majoring in nutrition, believes Druid City Music Hall will be a great addition, not only for the students, but also for the growing city.

“Generally in the past, students had to travel outside of Tuscaloosa to see many of the big-name shows, but the city has recently started bringing in bigger name artists here that students would normally have to travel to Birmingham or Atlanta to see,” Franks said. “Adding this venue will only increase the opportunities students have to see artists who are popular with our age group.”

Kiser said she believes Druid City Music Hall will offer a fresh option in a historic venue for hosting private parties and events on the strip that will draw in local, regional and national acts to Tuscaloosa. The venue will also host football-viewing parties on Alabama game days. It gives students, particularly those under 21, the opportunity to see live music in a more intimate setting besides the local bar scene.

Red Mountain Entertainment is in the process of installing a brand-new sound and lighting system for concerts, as well as a high-definition projection screen to accommodate Alabama football fans. Red Mountain Entertainment is partnering with Nashville-based MarchOne Music, Ed Webber, owner of Bar 31 in Vestavia Hills and Steve DeMedicis from Birmingham’s Iron City for help managing the 
venue operations.

Tuscaloosa has been the birthplace of several bands popular with college students including CBDB and Mother Funk, and has built a strong music community over the past few decades. Druid City Music Hall hopes to continue fostering a musical community in town, and Kiser said appealing to local bands will be just as important as larger acts.

“Druid City Music Hall will host bands that will appeal to every musical 
preference,” Kiser said.