Students can offer pets a happy and healthy home

There seems to be more and more pets at The University of Alabama, and research shows that it may actually be for student’s benefit. Students are no strangers to the benefits of caring for man’s best friend.  A study done at Ohio State University in 2008 showed that college students transition better into college and deal with the stress of grades and student life much better as a pet owner.

“I missed the companionship of having a dog like I had back in Texas, so I wanted to get one while I’m in college,” said Smith, a junior majoring in nursing. “Getting a dog was one of the best decisions I’ve made.”

Anita Smelley, president of the Board of Directors of the Humane Society of West Alabama, said the constant changes and fast-paced lives college students experience are put at ease by having something familiar with them, even if it’s not their exact pet from home. However, she said many students need to be doing a better job of making sure their pets are benefitting from the relationship, too.

“Students need to remember that having a pet is an ongoing experience and should be a lifetime commitment,” Smelley said. “Having a pet is a fun and good idea. Pets enrich our lives very much, and I wouldn’t deny that to anyone, but I want them to be responsible.”

The Humane Society of West Alabama allows for any student to apply for a pet, but they take several precautions in order to ensure that the pets will be well taken care of.

“If they are under 21, I call the parents. Most students are not financially independent. They have to figure out who is going to pay for vet care and if they can pay the possible deposit for their residence, if they even allow pets,” Smelley said.

The shelter also does not allow for same-day adoptions in order to allow the potential pet owner to really think through their decision before taking on a new member of the family.

Carey Dickson, a junior majoring in human development and family studies, has learned these things firsthand.

“With parties and going out of town, a pet can be a huge responsibility,” Dickson said. “I would wait until your junior or senior year to get one, this way that you know how to handle classes and living off-campus for the first time.”

While adjusting to her roommate’s goldendoodle, Cornbread, was a series of trial and error, she does see the benefit of having a pet as a student here.

“Having him in the house made all the roommates feel more as if they were home, considering that we are all from out of state,” Dickson said. “Having a pet made it exciting to go home after a long day of class and work.” 

The Humane Society of West Alabama advises to keep your pet safe but busy by keeping it indoors, knowing it well enough to tell if it is feeling sick, planning routine check-ups and vaccinations and spending plenty of quality time with them.

“Although it is a big responsibility, it’s rewarding to have them to spend time with,” Smith said. “I would suggest just getting into a good regime of feeding and taking them out at a certain time every day based on your class schedule so that you’re not neglecting your pet or your school time.”