GOBD to host creative groups from around campus

It’s that time of year again. Hundreds of student organizations will be lining the streets trying to get everyone to sign their names and take their free stuff. The University of Alabama Office of Student Involvement and SOURCE UA are hosting their annual Get On Board Day on Thursday, August 27, from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Ferguson Center.

Get On Board Day, which takes place at the beginning of every semester, is a day where students can learn more about student organizations and departments.  With over 350 student organizations on campus, Get on Board Day is a great way to discover more about what these organizations have to offer.

This year, Get On Board Day will be themed, and the organizations and their tables will all be divided up into different decades.

One group that will be at Get On Board Day is Creative Campus, which is a faculty led, student centered arts advocacy internship program.

“We turn innovative ideas that promote the arts into events to link campus with the local community,” said Moira Quinn, one of the interns for Creative Campus.

Although Creative Campus already has their interns for the year set, they are hoping to get the word out about their program by offering an interactive table at Get On Board Day where students can do a DIY project that they can take home on the spot, according to Quinn.

Another group that will be representing at GOBD is UA Resonance, the University’s competitive co-ed show choir.

“We put on performances in the Fall and Spring for the students at UA,” said Allison Schmidt, the president of UA Resonance. “We also have other performances where we reach out to high schools and at competitions.”

According to Schmidt, the group will be showcasing their performance from last year and giving away cups and popsicles for people who like the group on Facebook and follow them on Instagram.

Schmidt said that UA Resonance will be hosting auditions during the first week of September.  The auditions will include a dance clinic and an individual singing portion.  There will also be a make up sessions for those not able to make it to the first audition.

Crimson Kindness, a student run organization that works in random acts of kindness, will also be at Get On Board Day this year.

Rachel Bower, the president of Crimson Kindness, said that the group’s ultimate goal is to improve life on campus at UA by encouraging students and inspiring them to do their own acts of kindness.

“We will have a table set up at Get On Board Day with free candy and a chance for people to get to know more about the organization,” Bower said. “Students who are interested can also sign up at our table to receive an email about our next meeting.”

House of Eprouver, UA’s own fashion group, will also be participating in Get On Board Day.

“Eprouver started off as a minority fashion organization,” said Imani Manley, president of the House of Eprouver. “Over the years, we have advanced to include art, culture and film.  Basically, we are the kind of organization that provides a creative outlet for students.”

Manley said that anyone who is interested can join by contacting her or coming by their table at Get On Board Day.

List of Get on Board Day organizations 2015