Debate arrives at UA

The University is offering students who did not receive tickets to Thursday’s gubernatorial debate an alternative so they can still witness the event.

The Student Government Association and the Ferguson Student Center have joined together to host a debate viewing party Thursday night, where students can eat free Chick-fil-A and watch the debate in the East Dining Room of the Ferguson Center. The viewing party will begin at 6:30 p.m.

Also, C-SPAN announced Tuesday that they would be broadcasting the event live across the nation. The debate will be broadcast unedited up to four times after the live broadcast, according to a press release.

“The Sept. 16 gubernatorial debate is the premier debate of the 2010 state election cycle, and the national coverage from C-SPAN is a testament to that,” SGA President James Fowler said in the release. “It is evident that the entire state, and now the nation, has taken note that students at The University of Alabama have engaged in their civic duty of educating their vote and ensuring that their voice is heard across the state.”

Jimmy Young, UA gubernatorial debate coordinator, also addressed the national coverage in the press release.

“This is a great opportunity for both our SGA and university,” Young said. “The C-SPAN broadcast will allow all the hosts to show the hard work they have put in over the last year. We are very excited to have the network’s participation and support.”

The debate will also be broadcast live on Alabama Public Television and al.com., as well as aired on Alabama Public Radio.

Students who did not register or did not receive tickets from the online registration process will not be able to get tickets at the door, and tickets were not made available to the general public.

A total of 373 tickets were given out to students.

Andres Mendieta, a sophomore majoring in economics, said he did not get a ticket to the debate, and he did not plan to attend the Ferguson Center’s viewing party.

“I was busy the day students were supposed to request tickets,” Mendieta said. “I’m from California. This race doesn’t affect me enough to where I care about it. I couldn’t relate to either of the candidates either.”

Marshall Houston, a senior majoring in economics, had a different view.

“Of course, I think this is a fantastic opportunity for campus,” he said.

“This is a student-run and student-created event, and we’re able to make an impact on the political landscape,” Houston said. “This is the premier political event of the race, and it’s an event on campus. That’s never happened before.”