PRACTICE REPORT: Alabama works on packages for Kenyan Drake

Alabama practices figure to be especially busy for running back Kenyan Drake this season, and Saturday’s practice was no exception.

Drake started the viewing period working with the other running backs. The only running back ahead of Drake in the line was Derrick Henry, and freshman Damien Harris took his turn right after Drake.

Later on in the viewing period Alabama’s offense worked on a package that involved Drake lining up as a wide receiver. Drake went into motion and then ran a sweep across, at which point quarterback Blake Barnett had the option to hand off to either Drake or Harris who was lined up behind Barnett.

Practice Notes:

• When the quarterbacks lined up together Jake Coker went first, followed by Alec Morris, Cooper Bateman, David Cornwell and Barnett in order.
  • When the quarterbacks split into two separate lines Coker was followed by Morris and walk on 19. Cornwell led the second line with Bateman and then Barnett following him through drills.
  • The receivers also split into two lines so they could practice crossing routes. Chris Black led the first line while ArDarius Stewart and Richard Mullaney took the next two places behind him. The second line was led by Robert Foster followed by Cam Sims, Derek Kief, Calvin Ridley and Daylon Charlot in order.

The defense worked in its dime package today, and the first team included:

• Safeties: Geno Smith and Eddie Jackson
  • Cornerbacks: Cyrus Jones and Marlon Humphrey
  • Money/Star: Minkah Fitzpatrick and Maurice Smith
  • Linebackers: Reggie Ragland and Reuben Foster